General notes about paying with BTC - Bitcoin.
When paying with Bitcoin it is important to understand that we do not possess an own BTC address (wallet), but instead use the well reputed 3rd party merchant www.bitpay.com to process the payment.
All possible problems, or refund requests related need to be directed to www.bitpay.com!
Why is this important?
It is important because in rare cases (around 5%) payments are not successfully going through, as in not reaching our payment API at all, therefore no account gets created/renewed. We DONT have any control about the payment process and/or which type of payment notice is being transmitted to us in the end, remember all is handled through bitpay.com!
From experience the status codes for failed payments, can be either one of the following:
- Invoice UNDERPAID (means your payment sum was less than Bitpay.com has requested, read more here)
- Invoice EXPIRED (Bitpay.com allows a 15 minute time window to pay, payments after that will not be processed in an automated manner anymore and instead have to be manually processed)
- Invoice INVALID (A payment arrived, but has not yet confirmed on the bitcoin network after 1 hour. For a variety of reasons, a payment can take a long time to be confirmed. In such cases the payment will not be applied to the invoice until it confirms.)
If we are lucky we will receive a status email on such failed payments, but we have had cases where we didnt receive anything, read here. Sending us a ticket about where the payment has gone is useless, since we cant further debug this, because failed payments simply dont show up in our BTC ledger and without any email notice, we are as equally clueless as the buyer.
Is the money lost, if a payment fails?
NO, it is is not!
1. To be safe keep your invoice URL open in the browser after the payment, which as example usually looks like https://bitpay.com/invoice?id=TLjkBkfCE22mW4K4suT5tB where "TLjkBkfCE22mW4K4suT5tB" is your bitpay.com invoice ID. Incase the payment failed, simply click on the "REFUND" button in this invoice URL and bitpay.com is handling the further refund process!
2. Incase you lost/closed the Invoice URL, try contacting bitpay.com with your Blockchain transaction details and go with them through the next options accordingly as described here Alternatively you can try to send us a ticket and include your exact order time/date and the correct order email too, if lucky we are able to find your order in our system too, but if the invoice status underpaid, expired or invalid then logically no account was created on our end, meaning we would not be able to find it either.
Then again failed Bitpay payments are rare, but as described can and will technically occur from time to time.